Sunday, August 11, 2013

Android Apps Anyone?

Ever since becoming connected in March 2009 I have relied on two primary mobile devices.  The first was a trio of Blackberry smart phones, which many of my connected friends have busted my chops about even up to recently.  I relied on this type of smart phone for years as it was provided to me at work.  Even though the number of apps was, and still is, very limited, the ability to connect to the Internet was good enough for me.  I was able to deal with the ridicule from my tweeps, but it wasn't until my wife got sick of the fact that I still had a common flip phone that I used for personal calls that a major shift occurred. She eventually gave me her iPhone when it was time for her to upgrade and this has been my primary mobile device for the past year.

Image credit: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/best-android-apps/

In 2010 I purchased my first iPad and this has been my primary tablet ever since.  Over the years I have become quite proficient and knowledgeable about iOS apps that I rely on to increase productivity and to grow professionally through my Personal Learning Network (PLN).  I have become so reliant on Apple devices that I never saw or anticipated the need to learn anything about Android apps since I could never see myself making the switch.  

Well things recently changed as I got my hands on what I think might be the hottest and most exciting Android tablets to hit the market - the Sony Xperia Z.  I can't wait to fully vet this device.  The only problem is that this is the first Android device that I have had in my possession for any extended time. I did have an original Galaxy tablet a few years back, but I quickly became disinterested as it's capabilities paled in comparison to the iPad's.  It was then passed off to my son who used to strictly to play Pumpkins vs. Monsters

With the Xperia Z I want the full Andoid experience. This is where you come in.  I have no clue where to even begin with Android apps.  There are many iOS apps also on Android that I love and have begun to download (i.e. Zite, Flipboard, Dropbox, Evernote, etc.).  What I am looking for are some of the best native Android apps that are not available on iOS.  Please consider recommending the apps that you find to be the most useful and why in the comments below. Thanks everyone!

11 comments:

  1. For something that you would never find in Apple, check out AirDroid.
    I only use it in Lite connection mode. It will let you transfer files of any kind between your tablet and your laptop, through the network. It could also be used to transform your tablet into a document camera of sorts. It's great when you are hanging out with friends and you want to share files without hassles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a good list from Jill Thompson's blog - http://insidetheclassroomoutsidethebox.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/apps-and-sites-that-work-on-all-devices-for-byot/

    Also, here are 5 good search tools for Android (some of which work for iOS as well). http://www.ccedtech.com/2013/04/how-to-search-for-android-apps-my.html

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got Nexus 7 tablets for my classroom, so I have a lot of ideas....I have maybe 100 apps for elementary.

    @mr_brim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely Airdroid, same as above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric, hang tight. Google is getting ready to launch Google in Education. This will leverage the Play store for Android and Nexus tablets. Check out more information here: http://www.google.com/edu/android/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone using Android for ESL/EFL?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Socrative works both with iOS and Android system

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wattpad could be of interest to encourage students to write and have there own following. It gets rave reviews. Also Global News, Fast News, and USA News.I will follow you my social networks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Evernote and Dropbox Apps are some of the best apps which people generally include in there app lists. Some good apps here. You can also include Future Scheduler in this Android apps list.

    ReplyDelete