Thursday, June 28, 2012

Learning on My Terms

The following is a guest post by Bedros Kharmandarian, a junior at New Milford High School. Throughout his high school career he has been exposed to many elective courses in the areas of graphics and technology that have allowed him to unleash his creative talents. In this piece he discusses his use of Adobe tools to create our recent Holocaust Study Tour book.  You can view last year's book created using Adobe Creative Design Suite HERE.


As a student, the use of Adobe programs has been a privilege, as well as, a tool to benefit myself and New Milford High School.  A large amount  of my efforts yearly go into our school yearbook, which is done through a collaboration between our Graphic Arts teacher, Mr. Pevny, and a few students such as myself.  I am proud to say that the yearbook has consistently received many awards over the years.  This, in my opinion, can be attributed to an amazing teacher in Mr. Pevny as well as the schools' investment in the latest educational technology (iMacs, Adobe tools, digital cameras, etc.).


Image credit: http://www.gfxtra.com/dl/adobe+acrobat+x+suite+-MAC


This year, a project that took a grand amount of effort on my part, as well as, the use of programs such as Photoshop and InDesign, was a booklet on the Holocaust Study Tour.  Every year our school holds an educational trip to Germany, Poland, and the Czech Republic, in which a select group of students are taken to get a first hand education on the Holocaust.   When the trip reaches its end, they are left with multitudes of pictures, as well as, an essay, which is to be written by each student.   A single student is bestowed the task of using the resources at hand, coupled with Adobe programs, to create a 60 page booklet.  This year, I was the student chosen. 


So, essentially, Adobe software such as InDesign and Photoshop have been a staple in my artistic student life.  They have enriched my experience as a student at New Milford High by providing me the ability to make things ranging from yearbook content, Holocaust booklets, playbills for the school musical, projects for numerous classes, and many more learning artifacts.   I am afforded countless opportunities to learn on my terms with the tools that I am comfortable with at times that are convenient.  This is how school should be and I am thankful for everything that NMHS has done to meet my needs and provided me with unparalleled learning opportunities.             

3 comments:

  1. Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! A great example of technology - a tool - used to truly enhance the learning process rather than simply for the sake of using the 'shiny thing'. Eric, and to your student(s) - I hope you realize how special you are. Serving as an example of excellence for others to learn from and inspire to be. Keep it up!

    Dr. G

    ReplyDelete
  2. David: Thank you so much for the comment. All we are trying to do is the right thing for students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great explanation of how different technological applications are expanding your learning Bedros! The enjoyment you get out of it shines through in your writing, bravo.

    Eric thanks for having a student as a guest writer, it is so inspiring to see a student's view point.

    Miss L
    Miss L's Whole Brain Teaching

    ReplyDelete